We’re eating and drinking this October – join us!
What better way to celebrate food than indulging in your favourite meal at your favourite restaurant?
World Food Day is commemorated worldwide each year on 16 October in remembrance of founding the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations in 1945 as an organisation that deals with global food and agricultural issues. In these difficult times, our restaurant industry has taken a toll. Why not make a difference and support our local restaurants on this day?
Sandton Central has a variety feast of restaurants to pick from. Let’s take a look at some of our options:
- Hard Rock Café – Try their made-from-scratch entrees and Legendary Burger.
- The Raj – Spice up your life with The Raj’s traditional North Indian menu.
- Big Mouth – Your mouth won’t be able to open wide enough to fit all the delectable dishes at this restaurant. Chow down on their charcoal-grilled dishes that tastes like it just came from the “braai”.
- Tang – Bringing you a luxurious and sensory dining experience inspired by contemporary Japanese izakayas and the classic Cantonese eateries of Hong Kong.
- Wimpy – Never underestimate the satisfaction received from a classic Wimpy burger. The kids will enjoy this option too.
- Ocean Basket – This is the place to go to cure your seafood craving. Pick from prawns, sushi, calamari to their famous fish and chips and, of course, don’t forget the famous creamy lemon sauce.
- Lexi’s Healthy Eatery – For the conscious eater. Lexi is a mostly plant-based, healthy eatery focusing on healthier, more moral and eco-friendly choices.
- Häagen-Dazs – Conclude your culinary celebrations with some of the world’s best-tasting ice cream. You have to try an Häagen-Dazs Creation. We recommend the Banana Caramel crêpe!
Celebrate with Gin
No meal is complete with the perfect beverage! Because International Gin and Tonic Day is celebrated on 19 October, we’re drinking gin with our food this October.
If you’re not a gin drinker, now is the time to start. With so many varieties on the market today, there’s something for everyone. It’s so refreshing with lots of different flavours that are perfect for summer, including citrus, cucumber, rosemary, blueberries, strawberries and coriander. Some recipes for you to try out at home:
- Pink gin and tonic – This is a tall glass of summer! Prettily pink with cranberry juice and rose.
- Lime Cardamom and Blueberry Gin Fizz – Make something a little bit more fancy with this yummy recipe.
Don’t forget to pick up your gin at Benmore’s Pick n Pay Liquor Store. Also, keep the lockdown restrictions in mind!
International Gin and Tonic Day is also the best excuse to have cocktails on a Tuesday! Try Hard Rock Café’s Tropical Gin Tonic with blue curacao, or head on over to Pappas-on-the-Square for their signature Apple and Cinnamon Gin Mojito. Doppio Zero lets you create your perfect G&T. Pick your gin, choose your Fitch & Leedes Tonic, and top it off with the garnish of your choice.
Remember, these aren’t the only places to celebrate these days. Here are directories to all the eateries found at Sandton Central: